Call The Document People at 800-515-0837 graphic
Send Us An Inquiry graphic
Our Services highlighted graphic
Get Started highlighted graphic
Stores highlighted graphic













Learn more about our Non-Profit document preparation services


What Is a Nonprofit Corporation?

A nonprofit corporation (NPO) is an organization that uses its surplus funds or “profits” to advance a particular purpose. Unlike a for-profit corporation, a nonprofit’s income is not distributed to owners, the board of directors, officers, or shareholders. Nonprofits are involved in many areas and are frequently created as a public service. They are used to manage charities or to support the fine arts, healthcare and research, education, political awareness, religion, and countless other activities. Hybrid nonprofit corporations, such as cooperatives that are equally owned by members and/or employees, are also growing in popularity in areas like farming, grocery stores, and medical dispensers.

How Is a Nonprofit Like a Regular Corporation?

In many ways, nonprofit corporations are similar to traditional for-profit corporations. Each nonprofit corporation is a distinct legal entity and is typically treated the same way a corporation is under law. Nonprofits may enter into business dealings with other persons and companies, may write and sign contracts, and may own property. Nonprofits are also structured like traditional corporations. Each has its own directors or “trustees,” officers, management, and can also hire employees.

How Is a Nonprofit Different from a Regular Corporation?

Unlike for-profit corporations, the income earned by a nonprofit must be invested back into the nonprofit’s intended purpose or to support and maintain the organization itself. While a nonprofit may pay salaries to its employees, managers, and directors, it cannot have shareholders or stock. Due to their public service nature, many nonprofit organizations are eligible to be classified as a 501(c) organization by the IRS. While most nonprofits must maintain annual financial records and submit tax returns each year, nonprofits that have 501(c) status are exempt from paying taxes on most or all of their earnings. Also, individuals or companies who make donations or give other assistance to organizations with 501(c) status can write-off these contributions on their taxes.

Create Your Nonprofit Corporation Using The Document People

To create a nonprofit corporation, you must prepare Articles of Incorporation and submit them to the Secretary of State in the state where you plan to operate. If you wish to obtain 501(c)3 status for tax exemption, you must begin a separate application process with the IRS. We can prepare all the necessary documentation and paperwork to get your nonprofit incorporated more quickly and easily than anyone else.

Our complete package includes everything you will need for that all-important first year, including:

  • Name Search — Preparation of the Articles
  • Corporate Kit — Seal — Membership Certificates
  • Initial Minutes — Customized Bylaws
  • 501c3 EZ applications now available for an extra fee

If you’re ready to make your non-profit a reality, GET STARTED NOW!

Start now with your Non-Profit documentation preparation

Why Us?

There might be cheaper options out there when it comes to incorporating. We believe that we are the best choice because of the level of service we provide. Here is a list of what you’ll get included in our fee:

  • Name Search
  • Corporate Kit
  • Generic Bylaws
  • Tax ID Number
  • Membership Certificates
  • Preparation of the Articles
  • Minutes for the First Year
  • Statement of Information
  • Seal
  • Expedite filing (extra fee*)
  • 501c3 EZ application with the IRS (extra fee*)

*FASTEST possible turnaround guaranteed.

What is the 501(c)3 status?

Opening a Non Profit in the State of California is a two-step affair: the first step is incorporating with the Secretary of State – that’s the easy and quick part.

However the State of California doesn’t have a process in place to verify whether a Non Profit is truly operating for the benefit of the general public, but rather puts that burden on the IRS. That’s why you’ll have to apply with the IRS to obtain the coveted 501(c)3 status – that’s the second step. Until you are approved by the IRS the State of California will continue taxing you (including the $800 minimum tax from the Franchise Tax Board) as if you were a for profit.

Obtaining that status can be a burdensome task. Luckily a simplified process has been recently introduced and most non-profits (basically every non-profit that is NOT a religious organization, a school or an hospital, and that does NOT operate abroad) can apply that way. Most of our offices do offer that service as well.